Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

CHRISTmas & Thanks Linus!

Christmas is now less than 4 days away and
 I will be Mrs. Robinson in less than 10 days! wooohoo!
I can't even begin to grasp what all this change will bring. I have so much to do to prepare for the wedding that Christmas has almost become a complete afterthought. I mean I'm excited about Christmas but I'm a little bit more excited and giddy about New Years.. only because I get to promise to spend the rest of my life with such a great man! Tonight, we watched Charlie Brown Christmas for the second time this holiday season. 
My favorite part:
This part truly captivates what Christmas is all about. 
Linus says: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were so afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this [shall be] a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

I just love this because I've really tried to get into Christmas this year but with the wedding it has been so hard. Christmas is so commercialized too which doesn't help either.Watching Charlie Brown Christmas really brings us back to what Christmas is all about: the birth of a Savior.

So I've looked up some Christian holiday ideas that 
I would like to incorporate into this Christmas and next: 
1. Watch the Nativity Story movie.
It's newer. You can find more info about it here.

2. Go to a Live Nativity Scene or have your kids participate in a Nativity play
(we went to a Live Nativity scene this past weekend. It was too dark for pictures but it was very neat!)
Here is where you can find easy Nativity Costumes.. 
pinned here

3. Make sure to decorate with more than just a Christmas tree.. 
Put up a nativity scene or decor that reminds you of Christ's birth 
pinned here

4. Watch Charlie Brown Christmas
It has such a great message, as shared earlier! 

5. Plan a project of Good will this Christmas
Volunteer at a homeless shelter or donate food to the homeless. 

6. Send Christmas cards that convey a spiritual message 

7. Attend a Christmas church service
I grew up going to midnight mass at the Catholic church. As a kid, it was so magical to be awake at midnight and celebrate the birth of Christ. so exciting!

8. Make a Birthday Cake for Jesus

9. Set aside time to read the story of Christ's birth from the Bible...

10. Call an old family friend or relative/ Write a letter to a missionary.
For the elderly and a lot of missionaries who are in different countries for Christmas, this time of year can be very lonely. Write the missionaries or visit an elderly person that you don't know too well. Ask the elderly about their family, their holiday traditions from when they were younger. Any lonely elderly person would probably be overjoyed to have some company. 

Those are just some traditions that I would love to incorporate in my own life. We are going to mass this Christmas on Christmas day and have already done some of these things but I can't wait until next year when I can incorporate them all! 
Do you have any ideas on how to keep Christ in Christmas and not let your holiday become over-commercialized?

Thanks for stoppin by,
xoxo Jen.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting that your wedding is coming up so soon! Thanks so much for this post. This is something that I try really hard to do with my children. I love all the glitz and fun of Christmas, but I want my kids to understand the real reason that we celebrate this beautiful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you're getting married in 10 days!??? Ahhhh! :) So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending tons of holiday hugs and some virtual pizzelles! : ) your newest follower!!!

    ReplyDelete