Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

August Feature: The Secret Life of Samara

Hey Everyone! I have a great bloggy friend to share with you today! Check out her awesome blog, The Secret Life of Samara,  and what she has to share with you today!
<< ♥ >> 
Hi everyone, it's Samara from The Secret Life of Samara. I was sooo excited when Jenna asked me if I wanted to guest post that I jumped at the opportunity. In light of the impending birth of Jenna and Noland's son, I thought I would share with you another birthday- my little brother's.

We recently celebrated my little brother Aidan's 21st birthday. As with all good birthday parties, my mum pulled out the baby photos (Jenna, this will be you before you know it!). This is seriously my favorite part about birthday parties.
As I was flicking through the photos of my little brother, I was amazed by how quickly time passes. I still remember 21 years ago when I was 3 years old and Aidan was born. I was convinced that he was a girl (I already had an older brother so had decided that it was time for a sister).

I still remember all the funny things he used to do like blow raspberries all the time and pinch people's bottoms.
I remember him crying because I wouldn't play dolls with him.

I remember being infatuated with him. The photos prove that I was a doting big sister, rarely leaving his side (my Dad claims that this is actually just because there was a camera around and I wanted to be in the picture, which I would believe!).
And here we are, all grown up, with just memories and photos to remember these times by.

When I was younger I was desperate for a sister and really only gave up that dream when my parents divorced in year 7. Looking back however I am so thankful that I had 2 brothers. Sisters are great I'm sure, but nothing beats joking around with your brothers, the constant fights that generally revolved around them reminding me that "I'm not their mother" every time I told them they should or shouldn't be doing something and the assurance that came with having brothers that would stick up for me no matter what (we could tease each other but watch out if you teased one of our siblings!). I

We're grown up now- Aidan is 21 and really starting to find his feet in the big wide world as he completes his uni degree and works part time. My older brother Josh is 26, living over the other side of the country working as a petroleum engineer and engaged to be married next year. And I am here, married, working and tending to my bunny. Despite the different paths that life takes us on though, I think I will always have that motherly instinct over my brothers. No matter how old we get, we will always tease one another. And no matter how much time passes, we will always stick up for one another.
So if I could say anything to 3 year old me I'd say sisters are great but I'm quite happy with my two brothers thank you very much.
And Jenna, enjoy the time you have with your son- before you know it you will be celebrating his 21st and looking back on all the baby photos wondering where all that time went.
Thanks for having me Jenna!

Samara
xo

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Samara. I love all the family photos! Always fun to take a look back especially on birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post to share! I am sure that you made your brother happy with it! Tell him Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to look back and have those fond memories...even if you did want a sister:)

    ReplyDelete