Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

August Feature: High Heels & Grills

Hey guys! I am so excited to be here today! Isn't Jenna just the greatest? What a cute girl she is. My name is Sarah and I write over at High Heels and Grills. What is High Heels and Grills? It's a little corner of blog land where we (my husband, Zachary, and I) try to bring you some good eats and recipes. Or at the very least, provide you with some source of entertainment as we try our hand in the kitchen. :) We were married a little over a year and a half ago and since then, I can probably count on only two hands the number of times I've cooked dinner by myself. That's the basis of our blog - the fact that we cook together! I'm the main contributor, but Zachary likes to pop in every week for some Man Mondays. Trust me, you won't want to miss it!

Speaking of Man Mondays, I'm actually here to share a recipe that Zachary made last week. He's really good at whipping things up out of nowhere and they end up being insanely delicious. That was exactly the case with these lil' guys. I present to you, the Mini Philly Cheese steaks.
I can't even tell you how many Philly Cheesesteaks I've had in my lifetime. I love them! I've had some really great ones and some really not so great ones. *shudder* And I know that it may seem like I'm a little biased in saying this, but just know that I am giving you my complete, 100% honest opinion - these are the best Philly Cheesesteaks I've ever had in my life. I'm really not exaggerating one bit! After I took my first bite, I literally sat there, with my eyes closed, and my mouth hanging wide open, completely overwhelmed with how good these things were. (Wow, that is not a pretty picture.) You get my drift though! They are amazing. You will love them, I just know it! So here's everything you need to do to get these little pieces of heaven in your mouth:

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 white onion, cut into thin slices
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 lb. thinly sliced roast beef
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • mushroom slices (however many and whatever variety you like)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. oil
  • 6 small french hard rolls, cut in half
  • 6 provolone cheese slices
Directions (According to Zachary):
  1. Melt the butter in a skillet on medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper - let the veggies simmer in the butter while you work on the meat, stirring occasionally.
  2. If you went to the deli and got super thin slices of beef, then cut this step out. If you are like me and buy the cheapest stuff out there, you will probably need to pound the meat into oblivion. (Super thin beef = awesome Phillies.) Pound until meat is about 1/8 inch thick.
  3. Season your beef with salt and pepper. (Trust me, it's all it needs.) If you insist on seasoning it with something more, try a little Allspice. It will do the trick.
  4. Add the 'shrooms (mushrooms) to the veggie skillet when the onions and peppers are getting soft - season also, with salt and pepper.
  5. Cover the bottom of another skillet with your oil and get it nice and hot.
  6. Put a couple of the meat slices in the pan. (Since it's so thin, you only need to cook it for literally 30 seconds on each side. I promise that's all it takes. Don't overcook it or you will have one unhappy sandwich.)
  7. Put it all together by adding your hot meat to your rolls, putting the provolone slices right on the meat, and topping it off with the veggies.
  8. Enjoy your nice, juicy, perfect sandwich.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! Be sure to stop by our blog and let us know what you think! Thanks again to Jenna for letting me guest post over here. It was sure fun to be able to hang out with ya'll! Until next time...peace.

-Sarah 

3 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I made a roast for Hubz and me and was trying to think of something to do with the rest of it. Yummy cheesesteaks!
    ***pinning***

    ReplyDelete
  2. o wow...those look so so so YUMMY!!!they are seriously making my mouth water! LoL


    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm hungry, I really shouldn't be stalking/blogging at 4 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete