Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Girl Meets World: My Thoughts

Did you watch the premiere of Girl Meets World last Friday? I was and still am so excited because I grew up with Corey Matthews, Shawn Hunter and Topanga Lawrence. As Corey and Shawn embarked on the challenges of life that they faced in their middle school, high school and college years, I stood right there beside them, learning from their mistakes and rejoicing in their victories.
About a year ago, I learned that Disney would be filming for a Boy Meets World (BMW) spin off series called Girl Meets World. Later, I learned that Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel would be returning in their roles as Corey and Topanga. It was all so exciting! I've been waiting for months for the premiere.
I think when you wait so long for a show such as this, you want it to be just as it was. Noland and I watched the show late Friday night and enjoyed it. I follow the Girl Meets World group on Facebook and was amazed at how many people were disappointed after one episode. Some said it was "cheesy". Others shared how they thought that Girl Meets World should be shown on ABC and aimed more at adults ages 20-30 because we were the ones who grew up with BMW. While, selfishly, I would love to have that happen, I've thought about the new show and have my own take.

We grew up with shows like BMW, Home Improvement, Full House, Saved by the Bell, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Step by Step, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, etc. We had wholesome shows where the kids were experiencing real life challenges like the simple choices between a good decision and a bad decision. We had a lot of shows with families that were wholesome and provided us lessons in daily life.
Now I'd love to hear if you disagree, but I think it is great that the Disney Channel is bringing a spin-off series, Girl Meets World, and aiming it at kids. I will still watch it because that is the expectation that I went into the show with on the first episode. After all, the show is playing on the Disney Channel, which shows a lot of different kid-aimed shows. The kids of today's generation need a show that is wholesome with a mom and dad who are married and in love. They need a show that helps them see why it is important to do your homework, be a good friend and an honest person. I think that Girl Meets World can be that show. It can give the rising generation some of the same lessons that we learned from BMW. It can capture their hearts with characters like Mya and Riley the same way that Corey and Shawn were always there for us.

If you haven't seen the first episode stop reading...*SPOILER* ALERT...
I loved the ending of the episode, just as everyone else was raving about it. Mr. Feeny's appearance was pretty awesome. I'm also excited that Cory is Mya's teacher. I think that is a fun spin!

So, I'm glad that the Disney Channel is moving forward with the spin-off series, Girl Meets World. I can't wait to continue watching and see characters, old and new, arise over time. It will be fun to see where the story goes, find the similarities and watch the rising generation learn to love some of the same or similar characters that I once loved. Like Farkle? Is he not the same person as Mincus? According to the preview, it looks like he may be Mincus' son.. but who knows. We will just have to keep watching to find out.
Since today is July 4, the new episode is not on this week but an encore episode will be shown on Disney tonight at 8pm, with a new episode coming on next Friday, July 11, 2014.
If you watched the show, I'd love to know what you thought. Please leave me a comment and let me know.
-Jen

1 comment:

  1. I really like the show. It's a definite needed change for the disney channel.

    So many of the kid shows on the disney channel are just AWFUL. People want to know why kids are mean and awful well the kids on the shows are mean and awful - they argue with adults and don't get along with their siblings. /end rant

    I really have liked the show so far a lot! From what I've read it sounds like they already have plans of what they are going to do for Season 2 which is awesome! Can't wait to see some of the old characters come back :)

    ReplyDelete