Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Guest Post: Shine On!

Hey Everyone! We have a guest post today with Meghan from Shine On! Take it away girl! 
-----
Hello lovelies! I hope you are all having a fabulous day. Please let me introduce myself -- my name is Meghan, and I blog over at Shine On. I'm a twenty-something, coffee-loving, professional sorority girl living in Music City, TN. It's nice to meet you!
I am thrilled to be a guest on Jenna's blog today! She is a fantastic woman, and I always look forward to reading her blog each and every day. Is she not one of the cutest little preggo ladies you've ever seen?! Adorable!
When Jenna asked for guest bloggers, I was so beyond excited. Like I said, I love reading her blog, and I am so excited to 'meet' all of her wonderful followers. Yes, you all. I sincerely hope we can become blog buddies! That's one of my favorite things about the blogosphere -- 'meeting' and making new friends all over the place!
Anywhoo, Jenna told me I could write about whatever my little heart desired. At first, I was a bit nervous about this. I like to think I'm creative, but when the whole blogging world was my oyster [that's the saying, right?], I wasn't sure where to go. Until my Pinterest-ing post yesterday...

Books.
I started thinking about the hype that series like The Hunger Games, Twilight & Harry Potter have had within today's youth. With THG release on Friday, and the fact that I love the series, I started thinking about the series that I grew up reading. So without further adieu, I give you to my Top Five Favorite Book Series (from the childhood me).

1. Goosebumps
R.L. Stine
source
I would sit down and read an entire Goosebumps book in an afternoon. Thinking back, these were sort-of creepy, don't you think? But man, R.L. Stine did an awesome job at engaging us and actually giving us, well...goosebumps. Favorites? The Haunted Mask, Night of the Living Dummy, and all of the 'create your own ending' books.

2. Nancy Drew
Carolyn Keene (ghostwriters)
source
Did you want to be Nancy Drew? I sure did. I loved that she was able to solve all of her crimes by dinnertime...wait, that was Mary Kate & Ashley. Anywhoo, Nancy Drew was amazing. While it's an older series, it didn't lose it's oomph across the generations. I read the same books that my mom read as a child, and that's pretty darn special. Favorites? Secret of the Old Clock, Secret of the Shadow Ranch, and The Hidden Staircase.

3. The Babysitters Club
Ann M. Martin
source
Ohhh, The Babysitters Club. I don't think anyone will ever forgot those bright book covers with those ever-so-stylish child blocks. After reading the books, who created a BSC with their friends? I know I did!! The storylines were hysterical, and, like, totally awesome!

4. Sweet Valley High
Francine Pascal (ghostwriters)
source
Sweet Valley High is a series that focuses on Elizabeth & Jessica Wakefield. They're twins..and they're great. As a tween, I really aspired to be like the Wakefield Twins. Like, totally! ;) They really hit on a lot of the important topics of a young adult...first boyfriends, first kisses, breakups and more!
Last, but certainly not least (because I really could go on forever...)

5. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Alvin Schwartz
source
This was one of the series (three books in total) that you will never forget. Actually, I still can't believe I was allowed to read them. Reading some of the stories now...and considering how much of a wuss I am, I'm not sure how I made it out of these books alive.  I mean, let's just check out these photos.. yikes!
source
So friends, what were your favorite childhood series?

Feel free to comment below, or even get a little crazy and stop by my blog to reply!
I'd love to see y'all over there!

Jenna - Thank you so much for letting me guest blog. Here's to a great year!! Muah!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I loved Goosebumps and The Babysitters Club too! I also read a few Sweet Valley High. And then the Sweep books...The Circle of Three books...bah. lol. Great post! Gonna go check out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! I loved all of these books too! I can't begin to tell you how many Goosebump books I read!
    -kendall
    {songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally contribute my love of neuroscience to the Babysitter's Club movie where they all have to help Claudia (I think?) with their summer school exam ("...into the cerebellum, it's the best thing that could happen, 'cuz we're the babysitters and we'll always be rappin'!") Um, awesome.

    ReplyDelete