Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mallory's Musings

Hey Everybody! Well you all know That I've been pretty busy with grad school and wedding planning so today Mallory from Mallory's Musings was kind enough to guest post! So check out her blog & show some love.
.........................................................................................................

Hi, it's just called SPICY readers! I'm Mallory and I blog over at Mallory's Musings. This is my first guest post ever so I hope I don't screw it up. Today I am going to share a recipe from my Mother In-law. I've completely butchered it so it's technically not her recipe but based on it for San Francisco Pork Chops.

This was one of my husband's favorite dinners when he was growing up. Unfortunately I could only eat a bite the other night but that one bite alone was so good. I'm on a super strict diet at the moment but the hubs enjoyed it and he enjoyed all of the left overs he was able to bring to work.

San Francisco Pork
Ingredients:
4 boneless pork chops cut into strips
3 cloves of garlic- minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil plus a little more to cook garlic
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
Extra Broad Egg Noodles- I use a little more than half the bag
Photobucket
Combined oil, stock, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper until sugar is completely dissolved. Add pork to this mixture and marinate for a few hours. If you are short on time then there is no need to marinate. I do because it gives the pork a little bit of extra flavor but I have made it without marinating it first and it still tastes great.

When your ready to cook your meal put a pot of water on to boil for the egg noodles. After your water is on put little bit of vegetable oil in a large pan and cook garlic for a minute or two on medium heat- being careful not to burn it. Remove pork from marinade and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Photobucket
Now you are going to add the rest of the marinade to the pan and bring to a boil. Once it hits a rolling boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes or until pork is cooked through.

While the pork is simmering you also want to boil your noodles and make a roux with your butter and flour in a small sauce pan. I like to use a roux as a thickening agent for the sauce but you can also use corn starch. To make a roux you just melt the butter in a small sauce pan on medium low heat. When the butter is melted slowly mix in your flour until combined. Cook one to two minutes and then add to the sauce that the pork is cooking in.

Take caution when boiling egg noodles. You don't need to cook them as long as regular pasta. In fact if you do they will either turn to mush or all stick together. I have found that boiling them about 8 minutes is perfect but add or subtract time for amount of noodles.
Photobucket

When both your pork and your noodles are done, put your noodle in a large bowl and top with pork and sauce. It looks prettier when the sauce and pork is on top but it tastes best when it is all mixed up.
Photobucket
While writing this recipe out, it seemed a little complicated but it's really not. I just wanted to cover all my bases.
Enjoy!

.........................................................................................................
Thanks Mal! That looks awesome!
Also, wanted to mention, an adorable {give away} going on over Marie Tea

Linking up here: 

Thanks for stoppin by,
xoxo Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment