Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11. Where were you?

Where were you on that September day?
I was in 8th grade at St. Johns Catholic School. I'll never forget because I was in Algebra 1 class when the announcements were made to us. I didn't really even know what the World Trade Center was-- which is horrible, I know. Our church had adoration available for the first time in years for people to come pray for our country. The whole school went for some time through out the day. 
After school, I wen to my grandpa's and watched the news the rest of the night on TV to see what was going on in New York. The images will never disappear from my memories.
Years later, my junior year of high school, I was able to visit the site of 9-11. It was so quiet and so empty. I was shocked at the massive structures that were missing, even though I never had seen them when they were there. The lot was so empty and just a large hole with subways still running through it. I teared up at I looked at the spot where two of the largest buildings ever once stood. The whole place just makes you want stop, be quiet and thank God for the gift of life- each and every day. 
I know there has been debate about a Mosque being built.. whether we were supposed to go to war in Afghanistan/Iraq and all the drama.. but today of all days, its NOT about that.. Its about being American and loving our country. We are so blessed. We are free and are able to make our own choices: get an education if we choose, work where we want, marry who we want, go to church where we want and so much more...or not do any of those things..  
This song just sums up how I feel! Gosh, I'm so proud to be an American!
I feel like today we all need to stop and remember even if you are just reading this. I know. Its all over the news and sometimes we just want to forget but we can't. We have to remember all of those who sacrificed their lives for us and so many others.
Today, I want to say Thank you. Thank you to the troops and all those who fight and work for our safety: police, firemen & women, EMTs, and certainly, our soldiers: all military. Most of All, Thank you God for allowing to live free in such a wonderful country and pouring your graces upon us daily.
Praying for all of you who lost family, friends and acquaintances on that difficult day,
xoxo Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment