Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick

First of all! Happy St. Patrick's Day from my family to yours! How are you celebrating? We did a combination of wearing green, watching Boondock Saints, attending mass, and hanging out all day long! 

I have been slacking on #40daysofsaints because I just am beyond busy. So if you are reading a long and interested in writing up about your favorite saint, please message me at itsjustcalledspicy (at) gmail (dot) com. I will try my best to post more this week and get us back on track to have shared 40 by Easter!
---
So, today we are celebrating St. Patrick so I thought maybe I should share a little bit about St. Patrick on here! I'm sure many people don't know much about St. Patrick but love his day because it's a reason to celebrate your or even someone else's Irish heritage. When I went to Catholic school in Pre-K through 8th grade, we always watched this movie and this is where I learned about St. Patrick
You know, the kids cartoon. (source)
Anyways, Patrick was actually born in (Kilpatrick, most are not sure about the city,) Scotland in 385. His parents were Romans living in Britain in charge of the colonies. Between the age of fourteen and sixteen years old, Patrick was captured and taken to Ireland as a slave to herd sheep. Ireland was being ruled by the Druids at the time. He lived in Ireland for six years before he returned home.
While in captivity in Ireland, Patrick had a dream from God in which he was told to go to the coast in order to escape. There, he found sailors who helped him return to his family.
He is said to have written this while in captivity: "The love of God and his fear grew in me more and more, as did the faith, and my soul was rosed, so that, in a single day, I have said as many as a hundred prayers and in the night, nearly the same." "I prayed in the woods and on the mountain, even before dawn. I felt no hurt from the snow or ice or rain."
After Patrick was reunited with his family, he had another dream in which the people of Ireland  were calling out to him: "We beg of you, holy youth, to come and walk among us once more."
Patrick became a priest and then a bishop. He was sent to take the Gospel to Ireland. He preached the Gospel in Ireland and is said to have converted thousands to Christianity. He preached in Ireland for forty years and converted all of Ireland.
Many wonder why a shamrock is associated with St Patrick's Day and Ireland. It is because St. Patrick used a shamrock to explain the trinity (three persons in one God).
St. Patrick passed away on March 17, 461.

Patron of: Ireland
Feast Day: March 17
An Irish Blessing for you:
---
In other news, here is our little leprechaun today:
Thanks for stoppin by,

1 comment:

  1. Boondock Saints is my favorite movie! I should have watched it today too, but maybe I will tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete