Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

St. Genevieve

Well, I haven't written about my patron saint yet. Crazy enough, I didn't really know much about her until college. One night, I was hanging out with some members of the Catholic Student Union at Florida State University and we all started talking about our patron saints. I proceeded to explain, I knew nothing about mine and just chose her because here name was close to mine. Also, my grandmother's middle name was Genevieve. It's a beautiful name. Well, today, I'm actually going to share some of what I've learned about St. Genevieve
---
St. Genevieve is the patroness of Paris. Her feast day is celebrated on January 3.
She lived from the year 422-512.
As a young child, she interacted with St. Germain of Auxerre and St. Lupus of Troyes when they were traveling through her town to combat Pelagianism. St. Germain foretold of her future as a life of sanctity.
At the age of seven, Genevieve was eager to devote herself to the service of God and became a consecrated virgin for the Lord. It is unknown when St. Genevieve began wearing a veil but it was sometime in her teen years. When her parents passed away, she moved in with her godmother and began to devote herself to works of charity, abstaining from meat and breaking her fast only twice a week.

According to Catholic OnlineWhen Attila was reported to be marching on Paris, the inhabitants of the city prepared to evacuate, but St. Genevieve persuaded them to avert the scourge by fasting and prayer, assuring them of the protection of Heaven. The event verified the prediction, for the barbarian suddenly changed the course of his march.

Genevieve was the first to come up with the idea to erect a church in Paris in honor of Sts. Peter and Paul. Genevieve died in 512, and when the church was completed, her body was entered into it. Many miracles occurred at her tomb in the church and the church was later renamed St. Genevieve.
That's all for today! St. Genevieve, Pray for us.
PS. Anyone who is reading along with #40daysofsaints and interested in writing up a post about your patron saint or just a saint you love, please feel free to email me at itsjustcalledspicy@gmail.com. I would love to have you share here!

1 comment:

  1. I love St. Germain! I considered her for my patron, so it's neat to hear that they had a relationship :-)

    ReplyDelete