Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

The Need For More Money

The truth is that no matter what anybody says, money does make the world go round. We could all use more of it and we don't act like we couldn't. Everybody could use more comfort and more security. However, we don't really NEED more money in most cases we just need to prepare better for the tough times usually. We need to use our money more wisely and we don't NEED certain things.

Now this is not to say that people should not use their money the way they see fit. This is not to say people should not get some nice things that they desire. This is not to say that people need to give away ALL of their wordly possessions. This is just to say that people need to get a reality check sometimes and that can occasionally include me. There are some things that I want and some things I plan on getting, but wants are unlimited and you have to know where to draw the line.

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got." - Sheryl Crow

I never thought that Sheryl Crow would be quoted in this blog. However, that quote from the song Soak Up the Sun is perfect. Life is not about having every single thing that you want because that is impossible. Life is about wanting everything that you have. Life is about appreciating what you have. I believe that I have everything that I need and I am truly greatly for that. I would say that I am truly blessed because I have all these things and a little bit more, + a loving family. It is really a goal of mine to rarely complain about money or say other things that we need. We have a plan for how we will spend vs. save in the future and I believe that helps make our marriage stronger.

The #1 cause of divorce is finances.
It isn't falling out of love, it isn't an unfaithful spouse, the #1 cause of divorce is finances. We all need to communicate and we all need to be realistic. It is okay that you make only 50k, I won't make that for a while. I live fine and everything will be okay with me.

My first year teaching I made $31,500 teaching. That is a ridiculously low amount. During that first year teaching, I got married to the most amazing person in the world. The money cynic though would have said it is financial suicide to marry a girl that is still in school and not earning an income. That put me on raising two on that meager salary. I didn't panic though and I made it work. During that same first year, against the financial wisdom of most, my wife and I got pregnant with our first child. Most would panic at that moment, but we were ecstatic!

Now, we couldn't imagine life without the little guy. Imagine if we were more concerned about getting every single thing we wanted than growing our family. Had we put off kids, we wouldn't have the greatest thing in our life, which is a growing family. That child has brought so much more joy into our lives and made every single thing in life better. We put it up to the lord and let him guide us and it just works. The key is trusting in the lord and making sound financial decisions.

Noland Jr. was born in my second year teaching while I was still making a good deal less than 40k. While Jenna was still in school. I bring him up to say that there is no PERFECT time to start a family. There never will be a perfect time to start a family. There is also no time you will get everything you want. The timing and what you truly want is up to you. This decision just delayed some of our other achievements in life, which again is fine.

The amount of time it took us to buy a house was prolonged. We couldn't get a house until this year when I am 28. Through smart financial decisions, prioritization, and prayer though, we now are proud homeowners, Not only that, but we also have two kids to enjoy in our new home. Had we waited to have everything perfect, it wouldn't be as perfect as it is now. Life isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect. If you think this way and that you are waiting on such and such you will never get there and you will never be happy.

Everyone just needs to really think about what they truly want in life. We need to be able to prioritize what we want and stick to that plan. Wants are limitless, but we need to take care of those wants most important to us. There needs to be an effort to block out what others think and do what is best for us. We need to make sure what we want is something that we will still want once we have it. Having possessions is okay and they make life easier and more enjoyable for us. I enjoy being in our house that's ours and watching sports after a long day with my family. However, I realize that these are finite things that we cannot take with us. What is really important is our family, friends, and community.

If you put your love in finite things and all your energy goes towards procuring them, you will always be empty. One of the 10 commandments is though shall not covet thy neighbor's goods. Don't worry about what others have, worry about what you need. The only infinite in life is God. He is the only infinite. 3 persons in one God the Holy Trinity, that is infinite. The only way to fill our infinite desire is to put it to God. If you try to put your infinite desire into a finite item, life will get very long. When you love others, love yourself, and love God, you will obtain some amount of happiness.

"Love one another as I have loved you." - Jesus

Love one another and more importantly love Jesus. It is important to put those unlimited wants and desires into the only infinite and perfect being to walk this Earth.

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment