Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

I can't wait until your son......

I try to live a positive life and not let things get to me. Don't sweat the small stuff is an important motto that I and others try to live by. However, we are an imperfect people. I cannot and will not ever be perfect, no matter how hard I try. All I can do is try my best. That being said, one statement truly gets on my nerves everytime I hear it and I just hate the phrase. The phrase that annoys me is in the title of this piece. Why does it annoy me so though?

The phrase I can't wait until you son or daughter...blah blah is a phrase that is rooted with evil undertones and hopes of misfortune. There is absolutely no positive spin that can be put on this statement and I hear it far too often. At best the meaning of this statement is to be happy at someones misery. At worst it is assuming the parent is a self-absorbed ego-maniac that will not be proud of their child and the life choices that they make. Either way it is a misguided and foolish statement unless it is something to the effect of...I can't wait until your child is incredibly successful. That statement seems weak.

When I hear this statement, it usually comes in the form of...I can't wait until your son is a gator. Now, you have to understand I am a Seminole and my blood burns deep garnet and gold. You have to understand that my wife and I met at Florida State and we are each lifelong Seminole fans. Sure we both really want our kids to be Seminoles and hate the Gators, but pump the breaks for a minute....

1) You are assuming we won't raise our child to make the right choice for them...
Sure we have already shown our boys the Seminole traditions. We have shown them our love for the Seminoles and will continue to do so. However, as deep as our love goes for the Seminoles our children know already that their purpose in life is to serve God. Nobody and nothing supersedes that purpose. They will go where they best serve God. I am pretty sure that will be at Florida State, but if God has different plans for my children, I will be happy they are serving his purpose.

2) You are doubting our parenting skills...
You are assuming our kids are making choices that we don't like. You are assuming that our kids are meant to hurt us. That just isn't how we roll. We are and will always be proud of our children. This will be true with any choice they make in life and it will typically be the right decision because that is how they have been raised.

3) You are wanting us to be upset...
Even if you were just trying to get under our skin with the statement, why do it? Why say that you can't wait for something that we dislike? This is the best case scenario as I said for the statement. You are thinking that we will be miserable if this happens and secretly wishing for it so that we can become miserable. Okay, if that's what you want in life fine, but we are called to be much more.

4) If a child is making the choice that is best for them, no parent will get in the way....
Are you saying that we won't be good parents? Sure, rivalries run deep and FSU fans dislike Florida and vice versa. That does not mean a Florida State parent will stand in the way of a kid going to Florida if there is a sport scholarship there that isn't at FSU or in rare cases vice versa. If there is a better or more reliable coach at one of the institutions. Or a better program for the major that the child wants. Heck, one school may have a major that the other doesn't. Assuming the parent won't want what is best for the child based on a rivalry is assuming the parent isn't worth much.

5) So you'd let your kid go to that awful orange and blue school?
Again, I'd let my kid do what is best for them and best for serving the Lord. On the off chance that it is in Gainesville and even possibly playing for the Gators, yes I'd be okay with that. It will never be my first choice or a high choice, but the child comes first. I will always be my kids biggest supporter along with their mom. The only difference if they were to choose that awful school would be that we would never get ourselves apparel from UF. We won't be caught ever in Gator gear, but we will support our children.

This statement is just stupid and if you use it, I ask you to stop immediately. There is no purpose to this foolish statement. Whether it be something silly like college to attend or something much more serious like a political stance, it is a foolish statement. Serve a higher purpose don't aim to take others down because you personally are insecure. I am sure nobody that reads this blog makes this kind of statements though and.....
My older son asked for a Seminole room in the new house and thanks God for it every night though....so I'd say they are on a pretty good track.

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment