Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Most Fun Thing To Do In Each State (Part 2)

Last week I started a list on fun things to do in each state. That first edition had each state A-M and the District of Columbia. It can be found here. This week is the 2nd edition with each of the remaining states. These are the most exciting activities that I have done in these states and/or what I would like to do on my next visit. Once again, hopefully this gives you some ideas for planning your own future vacations.
Nebraska
I have never been to Nebraska
Most Desired Location to Visit: College World Series (Omaha, Nebraska)
I first thought what the heck do I want to do in Nebraska? Then, I remembered of course OMAHA! One year I will go to the College World Series which is at the top of my list of postseason tournaments I want to attend. This just seems to be a magical experience that you can do. Add in the fact that the #1 attraction in the state according to TripAdvisor is also a zoo in Omaha and this city is one that I really want to visit. The more I think about it, the more I think Omaha might be my #1 city to visit.

Nevada
Best Attraction I've Visited: The Hoover Dam (AZ/NV border)
The best and also only attraction I have seen in Nevada. I was not a huge fan of the dam and think it is a bit overrated (sorry mom for being a pain when I went), but I understand that many love this place. It is a great feat of man that they were able to make this thing. However, I am not sure I will ever be going back.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (Las Vegas, NV)
It is pretty surprising that this is the highest ranked attraction in Las Vegas and in Nevada period on TripAdvisor. With the strip and everything else in Vegas that just blows me away. Since this is ranked so highly, I want to see what the hype is about. It seems about as cool as the Grand Canyon in Arizona and I love that so it seems like a nice getaway from the business of the strip.

New Hampshire
I have never been to New Hampshire.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Charmingfare Farm (Candia, NH)
This is a small zoo, but it seems very kid friendly. They have unlimited  tractor train rides which are great for any boy that loves trains like mine. Charmingfare also has pony rides and horse drawn rides. At this zoo you can also even get a sleigh ride add on. Additionally, the zoo has reindeer which lets be honest are loved by children everywhere.

New Jersey
I can't remember every visiting New Jersey, buy it is possible I went there when I was little.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Cape May County Park & Zoo (Cape May Court House, NJ)
This zoo is one of the highest rated in the entire country which I had no idea of until doing research for this list. Additionally, this zoo is absolutely free and parking is also free. The zoo has a bald eagle, giraffes, lions, red pandas, tigers, and more. It is one that we would love to get to eventually and perhaps sooner than expected.

New Mexico
Best Attraction I've Visited: Unknown
I have been to New Mexico and went for a week, but all I remember about that trip is millions and millions of flies. More flies than I have ever seen in my life. We met my Uncle Steve there, but all I can remember is seeing him and all of the flies. I think we did something to do with dinosaur footprints, but the flies just stood out.
Most Desired Location to Visit: The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi
I would stay far away from Clayton, New Mexico when I visit which was the fly capital of the world. To be honest this is a state I probably won't go back to because of that experience. However, if I did I would choose this attraction in the capital of the state. This basilica would be a great place to visit as a practicing Catholic. This would be a great place to celebrate mass. Also in Sante Fe is the San Miguel Mission which would be great to see and would be another place to add to the trip. The church is beautiful and it would be simply fantastic to see in person.

New York
This may seem like a crime, but I have never been to New York. Jenna has more than once and wants to go again, but I who grew up much closer have never been.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Baseball Hall of Fame @ Cooperstown (Cooperstown, NY)
The Hall of Fame I most want to attend is definitely the baseball hall of fame which is located in Cooperstown. It seems to be the Hall of Fame that holds the most prestige in this country as well. I am not sure if its because baseball is America's pastime, because of the records, or what, but it is just special. This seems to be an attraction on everyone's bucket list. It will be a trip I make with my boys and my dad one day.

North Carolina
Best Attraction I've Visited: North Carolina Aquarium (Roanoke Island, NC)
There are actually four aquariums in North Carolina that call themselves the North Carolina Aquarium. I am almost positive that the one I visited was the one at Roanoke Island because the outside looks the most memorable, but could be wrong. It was a cool aquarium and I would love to go again or to go to any of the other three as they are all a little bit different.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Cameron Indoor Stadium (Durham, North Carolina)
I have been to North Carolina several times, but one thing I haven't gotten to do is enjoy a sporting event in this fine state. The sporting event I would most like to see is a basketball game at the legendary Cameron Indoor Stadium to see the Cameron crazies in action. Duke basketball is the biggest name in basketball and Coach K is a top 10 coach all-time. I'd love to see the Dukies play in Cameron before he retires.

North Dakota
I have never been to North Dakota
Most Desired Location to Visit: Theodore Roosevelt National Park (Medora, ND)
A big part of me wants to say the Dakota Zoo which seems awesome, but if I went to North Dakota I would want to see a bison and a proghorn in the wild. The best place to do that seems to be the Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora. While there for the trip I'd also probably try to go to the zoo, but the park would be the highlight of the trip.

Ohio
Best Location I've Visited: Sea World Ohio (Aurora, Ohio)
This park is now closed, but it was once open and we went while it was open. It was similar to the other Sea World parks, but this park did not have any rides at the park. It would be cool if it was still open as Sea World does a great job with conservation. Sea World was eventually brought by Six Flags due to poor attendance and a bad climate for their type of attraction. At that time their parent company, Anheuser Busch decided to exit the market.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Columbus Zoo (Powell, Ohio)
For most people going to Ohio they want to go to Cedar Point, the NFL Hall of Fame, or the Rock N'Roll Hall of Fame. Not me though. While I want to go to all of those places, I would rather visit the Columbus Zoo in Powell, Ohio. This zoo is consistently rated the top zoo in the country and a zoo fan like myself would absolutely have to visit here. This is a must trip and one that will hopefully happen in the next 5 years.

Oklahoma
I have never been to Oklahoma
Most Desired Location to Visit: Oklahoma City Zoo
The Oklahoma City Zoo is another really cool looking zoo. It is only 1 of 20 zoos in the United States with a spotted hyena and 1 of 21 zoos in North America to exhibit the Indian Rhino. Another rare zoo animal I love, the Okapi, is also here. This zoo is only 1 of 23 in North America to exhibit the Okapi. Probably the coolest fact is that this zoo is only 1 of 9 in the country to exhibit harpy eagles. I have never seen a harpy eagle and I am sure they look spectacular so this is a really neat fact and almost worth the visit alone.

Oregon
I have never been to Oregon
Most Desired Location to Visit: Tracktown, USA (Eugene, OR)
There are a few other places I would like to see including the Oregon Zoo (which features a wide variety of species) and Crater Lake. However, sports history doesn't get much better than Oregon Track & Field. This track is actually called TrackTown USA because it is so famous. This of course is also the team that Nike was built from. Phil Knight was an Oregon track athlete. You can really see where it all started by visiting here. Phil Knight and Bill Bowerman developed Nike from trying to get better and lighter running shoes for Bowerman's Oregon track athletes. It all started for Nike at the University of Oregon and the track team.

Pennsylvania
Best Location I've Visited: Hershey Park (Hershey, PA)
Hershey Park is simply one of the best theme parks in the country. I recommend that everybody visit there at least once. You do not have to love the candy to have a good time, because this is a legit theme park. It has several thrill rides and coasters all of which have much shorter lines than most theme parks. Of course don't hold me to that short lines bit because I haven't been in a while and I'm sure the word is spreading about this place. It even has its own zoo that we reviewed here.
Most Desired Location to Visit: PNC Park (Pittsburgh, PA)
This is actually on the top 10 of my bucket list because it isn't far from my hometown and I have heard it is one of the best ballparks in the country. Several that have seen it have said that it is the very best park. It is difficult for me to imagine this park being the best, but I have heard that it is quite extraordinary. Going to a game here is something that I certainly feel like I will do at some point.

Rhode Island
I've never been to Rhode Island.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Roger Williams Park Zoo (Providence, RI)
The smallest state appears to be one of the states with the least to do in it. However, since Rhode Island is so small, a trip there can involve visits to multiple states. If I were going to just Rhode Island though, this zoo would absolutely be at the top of my list. This zoo has a bald eagle, elephants, giraffes, kangaroos, leopards, red pandas, pronghorns, and more.

South Carolina
Best Location I've Visited: South Carolina Aquarium (Charleston, SC)
I have not seen much in South Carolina eventhough I have driven through the state multiple times. I did take a tour of Clemson University and almost went there though because it was so beautiful. That is a close second to this Aquarium because let's face it aquariums are more fun than tours. Check out our review from that visit here.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Memorial Stadium (Clemson, SC)
As I stated earlier I went on a tour of Clemson, but I didn't see a game at their spectacular football stadium. I didn't see the Tigers run down the hill after touching Howard's Rock. Out of all the entrances I have not seen in college football, this one ranks up at the top. One day I will get to go to this stadium and watch a game. It will likely be against FSU because I'm pretty good at planning. However, it would not matter the opponent for me to have a good time. That being said it will be against FSU when I go and I will have a better time because it will be against FSU. I can't wait to visit the 2nd coolest stadium in the ACC.

South Dakota
I have never been to South Dakota and have very little desire to ever go.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Mount Rushmore National Memorial (Keystone, SD)
This is the obvious choice for South Dakota. It is something that would be cool to visit. That being said, at the end of the day it is a rock that is carved into the shape of the heads of some of our greatest presidents. It always has high reviews. but not sure it is worth a very expensive vacation trip to me. At the end of the day, the rest of your vacation is still in South Dakota. What else is there to do the rest of the time? Vacations are expensive and since they are so expensive I do not know that South Dakota is the location I would choose.

Tennessee
This may be weird since I lived in a bordering state for the majority of my life, but I have never been to Tennessee. My sister-in-law went to an awesome aquarium here though and reviewed it for us.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Dollywood Theme Park (Pigeon Forge, TN)
Dollywood seems like a wonderful park to visit especially during Christmas time. From early November through the wonderful holiday this park has a Christmas Chapel, a Christmas Carol, two more stations with Christmas songs or shows, carol of the trees, an Appalachian Christmas, and the chance to meet Rudolph and Friends. The park seems awesome at all times, but I think an early November visit would be special. It has 48 rides and looks like just a legit awesome amusement park. I'm actually pretty surprised I have never gone. Let me re-phrase that, I'm surprised I never wanted to go. This place looks awesome.

Texas
Best Location I've Visited: The Alamo (San Antonio, TX)
I have taken one trip to Texas that went to Houston and another that we flew into Austin and went to Kerrville which is just south of San Antonio to visit my Aunt. On that trip we also went to San Antonio and saw SeaWorld San Antonio, The Riverwalk, and the Alamo. The one that sticks out on that trip was the Alamo, although SeaWorld San Antonio is better than Orlando IMO. It is a great historical place that any history buff would love. Most people should visit this and San Antonio is a great city to visit.
Most Desired Location to Visit: AT&T Center for a Spurs Game (San Antonio, TX)
Preferably before Tim Duncan's career is over, I would like to go to the AT&T Center to see a Spurs game. I have admired the Spurs for a longtime since the days of David Robinson, but only been to one of their games which happened to be in DC. I would love the opportunity to see them in their home arena and see my favorite player wind down his career. This team is such an exhibition of hard work, teamwork and dedication that it will really be an enjoyable experience for me.

Utah
I have never been to Utah.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Bryce Canyon National Park
This national park is located in southwestern Utah and is the #1 rated attraction in all of Utah on TripAdvisor. Several have said that it is better than the Grand Canyon which is absolutely incredible. Any canyon that can compete with the Grand Canyon is worth seeing. That comparison alone has me excited to see this place.

Vermont
I have never been to Vermont
Most Desired Location to Visit: Vermont Institute of Natural Science (Quechee, VT)
This looks like another fantastic location in this country. It is centered on birds and bird watching and has a lot of cool things to do in order to learn more about birds. There are some great pictures of bald eagles on the website so I am sure you get a good look at them at a minimum. Additionally, this place is opening up a new exhibit comparing birds to dinosaurs and talking about the evolution of dinosaurs into birds. The attraction just has a lot of neat little wrinkles to it.

Virginia
Best Location I've Visited: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Williamsburg, VA)
I have been a lot of awesome places in this great state, but the best place I think is Busch Gardens. It is just a special place to be and one of the finest theme parks in the country. The park is right up there with the Tampa location.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Virginia Zoological Park (Norfolk, VA)
I grew up in Virginia and lived there for 18 years before college. My family still lives in the state. I have been to many great attractions in this state. However, most the attractions I have visited frequently are in the northern part of the state as I grew up in the 703. One place I always wanted to visit in this state and never did was the zoo in Norfolk. It just always seemed like a very fun place to go and my family of zoo lovers would love it themselves.

Washington
I have never been to Washington state.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Safeco Field (Seattle, WA)
I one day would like to visit all the MLB ballparks and this one is near the top of the list. It is near the top of the list because it is consistently ranked as one of the best ballparks in the sport. I have heard wonderful things about Safeco and am sure that I will get out there one day.

West Virginia
Best Location I've Visited: West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV)
I took a campus tour at West Virginia and strongly considered going there when I was looking at colleges. It is a great little town. Not as cool a state as Virginia and I'm not into the couch burning thing, but the University is beautiful and so is the town. I can see why so many people do want to attend this university as a student.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo (Kingwood, WV)
Growing up on a border state, I have been to West Virginia a few times, but never to Hovatter's Wildlife Zoo. At this zoo they have some really cool things including a black leopard, tigers, and even a baby giraffe. This seems like a really cool thing to do one day.

Wisconsin
I have never been to Wisconsin.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Lambeau Field (Green Bay, WI)
As big a sports fan as I am, I have only ever been to one NFL game. One game I would love to go to is Labeau Field to see the cheeseheads. Although NFL tickets are ridiculously overpriced, this is one I'd still love to see. It just seems like one of the best stadiums in the league.

Wyoming
I've never been to Wyoming and honestly if I ever were to forget about a state existing, it would be Wyoming.
Most Desired Location to Visit: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (Yellowstone National Park, WY) 
The say the zoo is called the backyard in Wyoming, but seriously what kind of state doesn't have a zoo. Only in Wyoming is that possible apparently. I have absolutely no desire to ever go to this state, but if I did go, I could go to this location. This is possibly the most famous national park and it is largely in Wyoming, but if I visited this park, I'd likely go to the Idaho or Montana parts of it instead. There just seems like a lot more to do in those states than in Wyoming. Heck, I could be wrong though.

Next week I go into my little rant about how Disney can better use Jiminy Cricket.
Have a great weekend everybody!

-Noland

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog from Pinterest. I just wanted to share that there are many wonderful things about Omaha besides the College World Series and I highly encourage you to visit! The zoo, as you mentioned, is fantastic; but our Old Market area is top notch. We have wonderful museums here and as a foodie, I can assure there is no shortage of excellent restaurants here. Not to mention, people are exceptionally friendly here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jennawr@yahoo.comMay 24, 2015 at 3:58 AM

    As I researched for this piece I saw that you were very correct. My family will be visiting Omaha at some point it seems likely. However, because of my love for Florida State and for baseball it will most likely fall during the College World Series. It also will be when we visit because it is in the summer and I get summers off as a teacher. When the kids are older we will certainly visit. It is at the top of our list to visit when they are older. For this post, I just wanted to share one experience I wanted to do in each state.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    We will check out the Market area when we visit as well.

    ReplyDelete