Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

That time where I got locked out

Staying home with a 22 month old can be frightening and hilarious all at the same time. Most days go by pretty easily. We play, eat, nap, run a few errands, hit up a park playground or library story time, come home and chill in the AC until Noland arrives home!

A few weeks ago, we had one situation that I have to write about, mostly for the record books. It is one of those days where you think to yourself, "Man, I deserve the 'Mother of the Year' award--not!" The truth is: No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. I've stopped beating myself up about this story and now, I find it perfectly hilarious! Now back to the story...

We were playing in the living room, putting together puzzles, reviewing the names of colors. He can now say blue and yellow really well. It was dim in the living room so I decided to open up the blinds, let in a little light and live a little.

Soon, NJ was running to the door to try to open our large sliding glass door. It has multiple locks on it so he can't open it himself. Lately, it has been so hot that I've let him go play Corn-hole on the porch and watched from the living room. He doesn't seem to mind the heat as his curious little toddler self throws the corn bags onto the ramp.

On this particular day, I decided to go out to the porch and rock in the rocking chair as he played. He also has a small rocking chair and sometimes he'll sit next to me and we rock together, just enjoying the summer heat. I walked out onto the porch and he was circling the chairs. He began to throw the corn bags. He threw one.. two.. three.. and started to go pick them up... but he wasn't going to pick up the bags and play again... No.

He decided it was time for him to get back into the living room AC. He pulls open the door and closes it behind him. I walk towards the door to head back into the living room as well. If he wasn't going to be outside, I wasn't either. It was like 100 degrees out. As I approached the door, I watched his tiny little fingers push down the lock... "Uhht ohh," he said muffled through the glass.

I was in disbelief. I pulled the sliding glass door and sure enough, it was locked. Luckily, by the grace of God, I had my cell phone in hand. NJ began to laugh at me. He started push his face against the glass with a grin. I played along with him and attempted to coach him in order to help him unlock the door.

10 minutes later, he had realized that I was locked out. He had no idea how to open the lock, and gave up to go sit in his chair and watch TV, while occasionally eyeing me through the glass...
IMG_1968

I began to panic. I called the locksmith to see how much it would cost to get into the house. It wasn't too expensive but I didn't really want to spend the money. I then accepted failure, and called Noland to come open the garage and unlock the house. He was obviously in class so he didn't answer his cell... Crap.

I had to call his office and explain that I had an emergency and he needed to come home. Instead, I somewhat panicked as they answered. I'm pretty sure I said, "Hey this is Mrs. Robinson, I need Coach to come home immediately. I locked myself out of the house and my toddler is inside." The woman on the other end of the phone said, "Ok, I'll let him know."  She probably thought, "Wow, Coach picked a real winner."

Noland was home 15 minutes after I called and unlocked the door! Freedom. Freedom from the heat and oppression of the toddler who locked me out. I promised Noland that I would never allow this to happen again as he headed back to work.

It is a fact that I messed up. I had a bad day, a day where I wasn't as vigilant as I could have been. I had no idea that my child who is not even 2 would know how to lock the door. I know I'm not the first mom who has ever been locked out of the house by a child, nor will I be the last. From now on, when we play on the porch, I will make sure to take the house keys!  Ha ha!

Here is the moment that he realized that he locked me out. His eyes got really big... Oops. Cracks me up now!
IMG_1967

Do you have a story like this? a #momfail, if you will...  I'd love to hear it if you do.

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! His eyes in that last picture are totally guilty! He definitely just realized that he locked you out. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna has since taken her keys with her everytime she goes outside now haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am embarrassed to admit that I accidentally locked my sleeping baby in the house. I had to take out the garbage and my dumb door blew shut. It had a latch-type lock and it flipped over, locking it. I had to jimmie my window open and I felt like such a dork. I haven't told the wife yet, either.

    ReplyDelete