Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

St. Joseph

St. Joseph was the foster father of Jesus and husband to Mary.
St. Joseph's feast day is celebrated on March 19 (which is coming up soon). He is the patron saint of the universal church.
Everything known about St. Joseph is from the bible. We know he was a carpenter and a hard working man. He came from royal lineage as the gospel of Matthew and Luke (although they differ some) share that he descends from David, the greatest king of Israel. This can be found in Matthew Chapter 1 and Luke Chapter 3. 
St. Joseph was an obedient man and caring man. While Mary and Joseph were betrothed, Joseph discovered that she was pregnant and planned to divorce her quietly and to expose her to shame or cruelty. In his time, women who committed adultery could be stoned to death. An angel came to Joseph in a dream and told him the truth that Mary would bear a son who is the son of God. Joseph was obedient to God. Without question, he took Mary as his wife. 
Joseph loved Jesus and truly embraced him as his own son. Soon after Jesus was born, the news that a king of the Jews was born had spread to Herod, a bloody tyrant ruler. An angel appeared to Joseph and told him to take Mary and Jesus and flee to Egypt. The holy family remained in Egypt until it was safe to travel back to Nazareth.
St. Joseph was a humble Jewish man that supported himself and his family by his work and religious practices. There is not much known about St. Joseph as Jesus grew older and began his public life. Many assume that St. Joseph died before Jesus started his public ministry.
---
St. Joseph is one of my favorite saints! He is such a great example of a good and holy man and father. He was obedient to the Lord and a hard worker. He provided for his family and I like to believe that he taught Jesus how to be strong and courageous. Even if those qualities were already knit into Jesus' being, one has to believe that his wonderful parents had some major influences on him, no? 
In college, I used to ask for St. Joseph to look after me a lot. I prayed for his intercession that I would find a husband, God willing, that was a good and faithful man. So, I like to think that me and St. Joe are pretty tight. Sure enough, I found a great and holy man who always seeks to do the right thing!
---
Prayer to St. Joseph
Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.
Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary of contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me.
---
History of the prayer: This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In 1505, it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death, or be drowned, not shall poison take effect of them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy; or shall be burned in any fire, or shall be overpowered in battle.
Say for nine mornings for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail, so be sure you really want what you ask.
St. Joseph, Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment